Monday, February 7, 2011

And Her Name Was Egypt.

Hi God ~

After having dinner and watching "The Bachelor" at my friend Ali's apartment in lower Manhattan, I decided (or rather, my parents decided :) to hale a cab back to my place. On the quiet ride back, I shut my eyes and began debating in my head how much to tip the cab driver. Overpriced taxi rides and impersonal cab drivers tend to lead to minimal generosity in the tipping department. And, these would be my excuses tonight....

That is until, we stopped at a red light about half way into our journey, and my cab driver (a middle-aged black man with a graying beard and long dread locks) spoke up. He asked me how my day was. What?! I was taken aback. He asked so sweetly too. I told him my day went well, and then I returned the question. He told me his shift had just begun (at 10:30 at night)....And, then he told me about his precious, beautiful baby girl who awaited him back home. She's 3 and a half, turning 4 on the 26th of this month. My goodness, his voice just lit up when he was talking about his little princess who loved to do everything with him. And, her name was Egypt.

God, yes that was just one of thousands of cab drivers in the city. And, yes, I was just one of many passengers that man has shuttled around. Yet, he's not just a taxi driver. He's a husband and a father. He has three children, one of whom is still just a youngster. He's just going to work to support his family. Who knows if he knows You or not....But, you know him :) My heart goes out to him.

God, thank you for this day and for taxis. May you bless that sweet taxi driver this evening. And, bless his daughter, Egypt. Thank you for the ways You touch me (us) and the people You touch us through :D

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this sweet story of your taxi adventures! Love you!

    ReplyDelete