Monday, March 7, 2011

Weekend Culinary Highlights!

Happy Monday, Jesus!! :)

Ah, K, so I totally wanted to post on my blog every day this past weekend; however, it was a full weekend. So...today, I decided to highlight my culinary experiences of the past three days!

BON APPETIT!


On Friday, I began an apprenticeship with the head chef of a bar and restaurant called Macao Trading Co, which is in Tribeca (lower Manhattan). I loved it! I worked for six hours in the kitchen. Made a double batch of curry chocolate cake (flowerless!), Portuguese doughnuts, and halved a huge box of raw brussel sprouts. Lots of work, but I enjoyed it quite a bit! I'm excited for this more hands-on culinary experience!

So, after my work, the chef told me I could help myself to anything at the bar...yep, anything on the menu! I was kinda excited!!! Sitting at the bar, I felt like a little kid in a candy shop. No, it was not an endless array of sweets. Rather, I, a total foodie, was given permission to order a cocktail and meal of choice, on the house (well, I did just work six hours for free, but that's beside the point :). Anyway, I was a pretty happy camper when my Bashful Maiden (nice light refreshing cocktail with a mix of gin, some botanical liquor, lemon and melon) was handed to me. And, an even giddier little girl (well, not so little any more. after all, I'm over 21 and drinking occasional big girl drinks :) when I was served my beautiful meal. Simply gourmet deliciousnes: lamb chops with a basil gremolata (similar to an herb pesto), Thai slaw (nice spice kick to it), and crispy yucca garlic fries (sprinkled with fresh parsley). Contentment. Sigh. Smile :)

Heaven!!


SOUTHERN BELLE


My dear friend, Jess, had a Southern Potluck at her apartment on Saturday night. Well, since I'm not from the south and don't possess a deep liking for southern cuisine, I wasn't overly enthusiastic about the theme of this dinner party. Yet, not wanting to miss out on any potential social fun, I pulled up my cute rain boot straps (ha!) and decided to go! I even contributed to the southern-themed potluck with my Southern California dip (roasted corn, halved sweet cherry tomatoes, avocado, garlic, sauteed onion, oregano, salt, pepper, lemon juice, cumin, and lots of love :) with its own southern flare. I actually had a lovely time. Met some great people, tried homemade strawberry jello shots, and ate lots of delicious home cooked southern food (favorite: potato casserole and kale salad)! I was even asked if I was from the south (does so cal count??)...I think/hope that's a compliment :)


SOMETHING'S FISHY


Fin Fish day in culinary school yesterday! Had NO idea what to expect. But, ended up having a complete blast! We learned all about fish, then got to handle our own fish (which included gutting, de-finning, be-heading, and filleting), watched the chef demo, and lastly, created some delicious fish dishes (including salmon lox, seared ahi tuna, pan fried bass and flounder, and a few others - YUM!!!)!! I was actually quite proud of myself, considering I think live fish are rather cute :)

FUN weekend!!!

Thank You, Sweet Jesus, for these fun, exciting, and delicious experiences!!

1 comment:

  1. Ali you just amaze me with your culinary experiences. Nice choice on the Lamb chops and basil gremolata. Have no idea what it is but would pick it on the name alone. Keep filling that diary!! love you so much...

    ReplyDelete