Thursday, March 3, 2011

"This Little Light of Mine"



"L-i-g-h-t~" That's the word that I wrote in my journal today, at the tope of the page. That's the word that You gave me. And, what I me by "gave" is that I asked you this morning what you would like me to focus on today. I like simplicity. So, the thing that popped in my head was "light," God as Light. You are my Light. You are the Light in this dark city of light. You desire to shine Your glorious Light through me in this numb, dark, and oppressive place that is searching for something (or Someone, rather).

Ways in which your theme of "Light" shone through today:

*I had the opportunity to profess my relationship with you on camera today! Ahh, so exciting! I was asked my "religious beliefs" and shared that I don't give into that religious c**p (no, I didn't really say those exact words :), but I do have a personal relationship with the God (that's You!) of this universe.

*I went "out on the town" tonight! Grabbed a drink with a friend at a jazz bar/lounge. And, then, we went to this older, little piano bar around the corner in the West Village. Wow...quite the unique experience. Let's just say that being able to sit and watch a decent size group of elderly woman and homosexual men sing various broadway musicals at the top of their lungs, along with the piano man is cause for a very entertaining evening...Not knowing my lyrics and not having a good voice (therefore, not being able to sing along) does have its benefits as I was able to just people watch :) No, but really, while this was a fun/funny scenario to observe, I was very aware of the fact that that bar was very full of lost, searching, wounded souls...My heart went out the the individuals there. All I could do was pray for them and pray that You, Lord, work how only You know how to work! Be the Light in this dark place!

*Lastly, I see Your Light taking effect, even if only just beginning to stir the hearts here. I reached out to a student in my culinary class who hadn't been to class for a couple of weeks now. Curious as to why he's been absent, I sent him an email last night. He let me know that he's been dealing with a lot of hardship in his life...losing his apartment, job, and girlfriend, I responded with the following: (our email conversation below


"Oh my goodness! I'm SO sorry! I did not know! Wow! You're dealing with a lot right now! Please know that you are loved and will be missed. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. If you would like me to pray for anything specific (more than what you mention), please let me know. I am sad. My heart goes out to you during this difficult time in your life. Please hang in there! I believe it WILL get better! There's always hope.

I hope to stay in touch. I hope you won't mind if I check in on you every once and awhile?!"

~Ali

(His response):
"No I wouldn't, and maybe I need that. Sorry to burden you with my problems, but I don't know or didn't know where else to go ( you may be an Angel ). I know that you are a true believer in God and I really think I need him (or her ) right now."

"This little Light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!"

Jesus, shine in and through me and all your beloved children! May Your Light continue to touch the lost souls among us. Shine, Jesus, shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment