Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Favorite Color


Ok, Lord, I know I'm a little late in posting my St. Patty's Day adventures, but believe me, a holiday such as this one takes at least a few days to process here in this over-the-top city. So, I knew that you get pinched if you don't wear a little green and that cabbage and corned beef make their proud appearance on dining tables for this Irish holiday. Yet, before this March 17th, never had I known what a true celebration of Saint Patrick's Day was...well, now I know.

Do you want to know my highlight of the day, Jesus???

No, it wasn't the excitement of finally being able to wear my bright kelley green shirt or sitting in Central Park in the warm sunshine with my sweet roomie.

And, it certainly wasn't the overly loud and immature mass of high school and college-age students running around the city for their Spring break.

It could have been the St. Patty's Day parade on 5th Ave with all the tourist onlookers. Or even the adorable Irish men in their skirts, I mean kilts. Or better yet, my highlight could have so easily been listening to the glorious sound of all those beautiful bag pipes.

Well, and let's not forget St. Patty's at nighttime. The beyond many Irish pubs and bars packed full of well-hydrated folk. Cute li'l Stone Street in FiDI so lively like no other day in the year. And, fun friends (new and old) to celebrate this..."fun" holiday with. None of these were my highlight.

Now, why all of these potential highlights (although good and fun) were not THE highlight, I'm not exactly certain. But, I do know that I wasn't touched to the core, in my soul, with any of these like I was with this moment:

On my way back from the parade, I was walking swiftly (as I always am :) through the NYC mass. I was approaching a man standing off to the side of the sidewalk, holding a Bible and a sign that said, "Jesus is Lord." Not gonna lie, when I saw that man, I kinda rolled my eyes (inside, anyway)...I thought he was one of those in-your-face, repent-or-hell, legalistic, bitter men that yell at you as you pass on by. (Reminds me of that one time I was is Livermore, CA with my fam. And, we were driving by a man who was preaching. I yelled out that window, "I love Jesus too," and he looked at me with intense, hard eyes, and then yelled, "OBEY HIM!!" Yeah, I was kinda taken aback...so caught off guard though that I just laughed).

Anyway, I read that sign and immediately, my spirit gave a shout of joy! I love the Name of Jesus! SO powerful. And, then, this man, I noticed, was a sweet older timid man. Right as I walked by, I flashed him a huge smile. He spoke in almost a whisper and said, "And, for the joy set before him..."

At that moment, tears filled my eyes. I was overwhelmed. I think it was the fact that my Dear Savior was being preached on the streets of crazy NYC on the most popular holiday of the year, yet in the most gentle, precious of ways. He was obviously a shy man, yet he loved Jesus enough to put aside his weakness and comfort and tells others about The Good News, Jesus! Oh, what a sweet, faithful man serving his Sweet, Faithful Lord. "Jesus, please bless that man! Bless him today and just love him!"

That moment was my St. Patty's Day highlight. And, it would be fitting to say: like a rare, treasured four-leaf color was that man on the streets of New York City.

Good Night! xoxo


*A great view of St. Patty's Day parade on 5th Ave! :)


For all y'all who didn't know...Green is my favorite color!!!! And, I love bag pipes. And, I'm quite fond of a thick Irish accent. And, I think I'll name my first son, Patrick Athole O'Connor McDougal. :)

1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post, Ali. You are a very good writer!

    ReplyDelete