Saturday, February 25, 2012

Music to Their Ears



Day 3. So far so good :)

Thanks to the influence of American Idol and Southern Belles, I am in the process of reshaping my habits to combat the complaining temptation with the following responses:

*Note: The examples are (for the most part....) hypothetical situations ;)

1.) A song - in an unfortunate situation that is provoking the complaining bug, just take your usual, instinctive reaction, completely flip flop the words and sing your response. Eg., after barely tipping over a wine glass and having it shatter all over the counter, learn to bite your tongue, release, and sing "Oh, soft fluffy baaaaaallssss of warm fuzziness. I loooooo-uh-uh-uh-ve when I so gracefully bump breakable things with my loving touch, for this teaches meeeee humilityyyyy and patience. Now, reeeeeest innnnnn peeeeeeace, dear broken glaaaass (fluctuating between alto, soprano, and tenor)." Sing as long as you need to, until feelings of complaining subside.    

2.) A sweet tone of voice - if someone tells you you're a big baby and uses a sarcastic, cutting tone of voice, then take one deep breath, and in the girliest most innocent voice ever, respond with - "Aw, I think I may be sensing some pent up stress there that you're accidentally taking out on this innocent bystander, muah. But, don't you worry, buttercup, no harsh feelings whatsoever. We all have our off days." And, then, for extra brownie points, throw in a wink ;) 

3.) A sugared phrase - "How adorable that a 21-year-old baby brother still wants his mommy to make his breakfast, scratch his back, and cuddle. Bless his sweeeeeeeeet little heart...."

4.) A nice smile accompanied with a batting of the eyes and a light giggle - soccer game or food network (in the slight off chance that you're possessing the clicker before the boys walk in the room)......."Yes, I have always wanted to bond with by bwuddahs over Everyday Italian. Oh, you're just going to LOVE Giada  :)" 

Sarcasm or not, these alternate responses really do have a positive effect on one's attitude, or at least they do for me (so far....as in today, ha! :). They usually lead to a smile, laughter, and/or a light-hearted feeling. I don't know about anyone else, but I sure prefer these 'new,' spiced-up reactions. I'm looking forward to implementing them more in my life, until they become habit :)

Cheers to not complaining!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment