Thursday, February 23, 2012

And, She's Off!




Complain
verb (used without object)
To express dissatisfaction, pain, uneasiness, censure, resentment, or grief; find fault.
(Dictionary.com) 

Philippians 2:14 ~ Do everything without complaining or arguing.



Lent is 40 days. I know. You're point being.....? Forty minus 31 allows nine days wiggle room of potential complaining. Ugh, maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic, but then again, it is me, Ali Wright, we're talking about here. One complaint-free afternoon is difficult enough, let alone 31 days! What was I thinking?!!! 


How it all went down:


Driving today, a thought (or string of thoughts, rather....okay, a full on convo with myself) popped into my head. Complaining. So unattractive. And, why do most people have to be professionals?! So annoying to be around! 


Not so fast, oh mature, wise one! I believe what you're doing right now is considered complaining....


Busted.


You're right. I am quite the well seasoned complainer, aren't I?


Well, up for a li'l challenge? How about taking a break (just for a bit...a rest, if you will) from the good ol' act of grumblin'? It is Lent, ya know?


I guess it can't hurt, right?? For starters, I like a little competition. Second, it reminds me of a research study...on myself (should be interesting to see the effects, positive, hopefully). And, oh yeah, can't forget the most important - it will force me to be completely and utterly dependent on You, God, if I am to follow through with this 'fun' challenge :)


So, there you have it. I'm participating (or, at least attempting to participate) in Lent this year. Not for legalistic reasons. Or even religious reasons. It just so happened that it began yesterday, and I just kinda feel like taking a break from complaining. That's all. Nothing huge. Just a simple heart cleansing detox. Not sure if it's a good idea to share with the public like this, but whatever. It will be good for accountability reasons, right?! I mean, how hard can this be? I can not eat sugar for three weeks, and purely, this is the same thing.....God, You love my pride, don't You?! And, my facetious sarcasm. Oh peas louise. Off to a good start......Start over. To be honest, this shouldn't be a bigger deal than this post is making it out to be. Simply put, I want to take a break from complaining, and I miss writing, so why not write about a potentially....humorous? impossible? for sure challenging, feat?! ;)  


Anyway, day one. Over. Who said I followed through today without complaining?? Haha, oh boy, this sure is going to be fun(ny). And, besides, complaining is relative, right?! Or, at least in the ear of the beholder?.....Just don't tell anyone about my li'l challenge. That way my failed attempts can remain between You and me. Oh, boy, just think of how that'll look if my family finds out! Or my friends!! I'm....I'm.....not hopeless. Just a widdle girl wanting to try a complaint-free couple weeks....days....hours...moments. Good thing it's the 'moments' and 'little things' (or steps) in life that are worth noticing and being grateful for, right?! :)


Cheers! Now go eat, drink, and be merry without that complainin' ;)


Okay, God, but for reals now. I do want to try the whole 'no complaining' thing. But, we both know it can NOT be done without Your Grace, Your Power, Your very Life flowing through me! So, with that, I invite You to be my 'Grumble-Free is the Way to Be' Desire and Execution throughout this time. Thank You :)



2 comments: